Job Openings at Oklahoma Indian Legal Services
Oklahoma Indian Legal Services (OILS), founded in 1981, is the only Native American legal services organization in Oklahoma. The attorneys of OILS deliver free civil legal assistance to Oklahoma tribal members facing legal issues involving Federal Indian Law or Tribal Law. We achieve this goal through targeted programs that serve specialized legal needs. For more program information, visit our website www.oilsonline.org.
OILS’ values teamwork, passion for OILS’ mission, commitment to clients and community partners, initiative, and commitment to helping tribal members navigate systemic barriers placed in the legal system. OILS is committed to fostering an inclusive culture in the workplace.
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for providing legal assistance to
low-income Tribal members in the state of Oklahoma. The position will be an integral part of the organization’s efforts to be a partner in the state justice community. The position will have primary responsibility for working on the organization’s project to assist Tribal members with probates needed to update titles of homes of Tribal members across Oklahoma and updating titles of Five Tribes restricted Indian land.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR CONSIDERATION:
• Juris Doctorate Degree from a certified law school.
• Current membership with the Oklahoma Bar Association is required for this position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Perform interviews with applicants and assists in screening of clients for eligibility for full representation.
• Provide high quality legal assistance to eligible clients on matters pertaining to their situations.
• Maintain a caseload commensurate with abilities and caseload difficulty.
• Comply with all applicable regulations, policies, and grant requirements.
• Maintain the highest ethical standards as a member of the State Bar and
• stay current with updates and changes to the law.
• Support, promote and participate in the program’s volunteer
• Support, promote and participate in community education, outreach and
developing good public relations with the client community, state and local
bar and other community groups.
• Ensure that all applicable client files, data, and reports are accurate and
• Demonstrate knowledge and expertise of the law and legal system.
• Embrace and support the Organization’s overall mission, standards,
policies and procedures, and confidentiality guidelines.
• Perform other duties and projects as required by management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Strong sense of community service.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills: ability to work well with a wide range of clients from various backgrounds.
• Strong interpersonal skills: ability to collaborate with OILS attorneys.
• Strong interpersonal skills: ability to professionally engage with OILS administrative staff who are integral to the case management process.
• Strong ability to mentor law student volunteers.
• Strong legal research skills
• Strong ability to prepare for and present evidence at trial.
• Strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to work with limited supervision.
• Demonstrate dependability through good attendance and adherence to timelines and schedules.
• Demonstrate resourcefulness and ability to take initiative in development and completion of projects.
• Strong ability to finish work necessary to close numerous cases assigned & accepted.
• Good analytical skills.
• Good problem-solving skills.
• Strong computer application skills.
• Strong proficiency in case management systems.
• Able and willing to continue professional development.
This work is primarily sedentary, with many opportunities for work in community locations. The position requires the following physical activities:
• Sitting for long periods of time; occasional bending, squatting, kneeling, stooping; good finger dexterity and feeling; frequent repetitive motions;
ability to speak and hear; or the ability to perform essential job functions with reasonable accommodation.
• Frequent lifting (up to 25 pounds of paper supplies or minor office equipment).
• Requires substantial time spent typing.
• Frequent in-state travel to county and tribal courts, outreach locations and other sites as needed. Will need dependable transportation.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position.
Salary range is commensurate on experience with excellent benefits including health insurance (with dental and vision benefits), sick leave and vacation.
OILS is an equal opportunity employer. OILS does not discriminate against any applicant for employment or any employee on the basis of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, religion, disability status, sex assigned at birth, gender identity, gender presentation, sexual orientation, or immigration status.
Submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three professional references from employers or school via email with “Staff Attorney” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, July 29, 2022, at 5:00 pm CT. In the cover letter, applicants are encouraged to address the core values stated at the top of this job posting in their cover letters. Please, no telephone calls.